Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Making Juice


Sometimes it's those spur of the moment activities that are the most fun. For us, this involved a basket of oranges that were about to go bad. I've been trying to live a more frugal life and make use of all we have, so I had to come up with something to do with those oranges. So, what did we do? We made juice!

My sister had given us a juicer for our anniversary last year, so I decided to pull it out and put it to work. Bekah was more than happy to be my little kitchen helper.

I would cut up and peel the oranges and she would put the pieces in the juicer. (with it off, of course!) We first tried it with the peels on, but it was very bitter!


It actually made more juice than I expected. Bekah insisted on keeping some for Daddy to try when he got home. It was the most delicious juice we've ever had!

This was such a fun activity and Bekah keeps asking to make orange juice again (I think I've created a monster!). What I loved about it was this:
1.) It made her smile.
2.) It not only got her helping in the kitchen, but was also a great learning experiment seeing how the fruit turned into the juice.
3.) She became so excited about a healthy food.

It was also a great bonding experience for the two of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment