WARNING....this stuff is highly addictive! I could just sit and sniff it all day! It really smells like the real thing! Thankfully, my daughter is old enough to know not to eat it!
I found this recipe for apple pie play dough over at Along the Way. We've made pumpkin pie play dough in the past, but never apple pie play dough. However, I made a HUGE mistake when making this. I told my daughter I was going to make it the next day. After I did that I kept hearing the question, "can we make apple pie play dough now??" So, I finally gave in and made it that night.
I ran out of regular red food coloring, but had the Wilton gel food coloring left from when I took a cake decorating class (about 5 years ago!). Needless to say, the gel coloring was all clumpy and I ended up having to knead it in. I ended up with pink hands! Just make sure you have enough red food coloring before you make this! =)
Here's the recipe:
* 1 cup of flour
* 1/2 cup of salt
* 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
* 1 tablespoon of cream of tarter
* 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
* 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
* 1/4 teaspoon of allspice
* 1/2 cup of water
* 1/2 cup of apple juice
* red food coloring (add until you get desired color)
1. Mix all the ingredients together in a large sauce pan.
2. Place on medium high heat on the stove
3. Stir frequently until the dough starts pulling away from the sides of the pan.
4. Remove from the stove.
5. Once the dough has cooled enough to handle knead the dough.
6. Place it in an airtight container.