Thursday, November 5, 2009

stART - The Busy Little Squirrel


This week our stART project was using the book The Busy Little Squirrel by Nancy Tafuri. I used to think that squirrels were really cute....until they got into a part of my husbands car, chewed some wires and cost us a few hundred dollars! My daughter, however, still likes them, so we chose this book. It's a really cute book about a squirrel who is so busy collecting food for the upcoming winter.

I found the idea for this craft at Preschool Playbook. Bekah has always loved the song Gray Squirrel, so we sang that as we did our project.

Print a coloring page of a squirrel off the computer. I found mine my googling squirrel coloring pages.
Then, have your child drizzle glue all over the squirrel's tail. (don't mind the bedhead...she had just woken up!)


Put cotton balls all over the tail....Bekah wanted a nice bushy tail!


Using a spray bottle with blue and red food coloring (I just mixed until I had a somewhat gray color), have child spray the cotton ball tail. Bekah really loved doing this part.


Let Dry and sing Gray Squirrel, Gray Squirrel, Swish your busy tail. We also read our book again. What a fun project!

You can see what others have done at A Mommy's Adventures.

7 comments:

  1. What a fun idea, I would never of thought of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids would love this project - thanks for the idea and the link to Preschool Playbook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great project...I'm adding it to my list of things to do! Thank you for linking up :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. the spray bottle is genius!! I am going to try this very soon--we love squirrels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We read this book too, my daughter loves Nancy Tafuri's books. Great project - that squirrel turned out very natural.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun! With a spray bottle involved it is something my kids are sure to love!

    ReplyDelete